Sweetcorn Fritters with Chilli-Candied Bacon
Some things are hard to beat and most of those contain BACON!
Try making this dish for a lovely lazy weekend brunch dish. It's great to make in the summer when fresh corn is in abundance. Fresh is definitely best for this recipe as it retains more crunch than tinned or frozen corn.
Don't be put off by the number of steps in this recipe, all can be done ahead and you can warm the fritters up just before serving.
The Chipotle bacon is incredible, caramelised with the sugar and left to cool, it has great texture and a smokey, hot sweet flavour.
I served this dish with a beautifully poached runny egg but a fresh salsa or Bite Me Spices Spicy Ketchup would be brilliant too.
Ingredients- Serves 3-4
- 2 husks of corn, or 200g corn once removed.
- 180g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 150ml milk, semi-skimmed or full fat is fine.
- 2 lightly beaten eggs, medium
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped.
- 1 mild red chilli, finely chopped
- 6 thick sliced rashers of smoked streaky bacon
- 2 tsp Bite Me Spices Chipotle Chilli Powder.
- 2 heaped tsp dark muscavado sugar.
- Sea salt and pepper to taste.
You will also need 2 flat baking trays.
- For the bacon...
- Preheat the oven to 140 degrees. Lay the bacon flat on one baking tray. Mix the sugar and chilli powder together, crumble over the bacon and pat gently. Turn the bacon over and coat the other side. Lay the second baking tray over the first and place in the oven for 30 minutes.
- After the 30 minutes, remove the trays and leave the bacon on the tray to cool.
- For the fritters...
- Remove the papery layers and silky threads from the corn. Remove the corn from the husks using a sharp knife. (I do this over a roasting tray as it has a tendancy to fly across the kitchen otherwise.)
- Blanch the corn in a saucepan of boiling salted water for 1 minutes and refresh in cold water. drain well.
- Add all the dry measured ingredients into a bowl., flour, baking powder, salt and pepper. Mix in the beaten egg and milk then add the corn, chilli and spring onions.
- Add 1 tsp oil to a non-stick frying pan and bring to a medium heat. Add 1 tbsp of the batter and allow room for the fritters to spread, repeat 3 or 4 more times.
- Each fritter will take 2-3 minutes to cook on each side. Once cooked set aside on a plate and cook the remaining fritters to use up the batter.
- Serve 2-3 fritters per person with 2 rashers of the bacon on top.