NEW! Amazing Fried Chicken (that's also Gluten Free) 2 Ways
'Woohoo' I yelled at the top of my voice as a recipe I have tried on and off for years finally ticked all the boxes.
I give you our Fried Chicken Mix! Simple to make below you'll find the recipe and instructions for preparation and then 2 methods of cooking, deep frying and 'air-fried'. More and more people are choosing air-fryers and I appear to be rather late to the party but now I am sold.
So here goes...
Ingredients (Serves 3-4) or maybe 1-2 as it's kinda moreish.
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 200ml buttermilk
- 175g pack of Bite Me Spices Fried Chicken Mix
- A deep fryer, a deep saucepan half filled with vegetable/sunflower oil or an air fryer.
- Optional: A meat thermometer is a very good investment as it saves having to cut through the crunchy coating to ensure the chicken is cooked through.
1. Flatten out each thigh and place in a foodsafe bag or tub. Add buttermilk and mix well to ensure the meat is well covered. Cover with lid or knot the bag and put in the fridge for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
2. Spread out some of the mix on a large plate. Take each thigh in turn and coat it in the mix, pressing in firmly and patting to ensure a good coating as shown in the image. When complete, you can either cover and store in the fridge until you are ready to fry or can be used immediately.
Deep Frying- By machine or saucepan
1. Heat the oil in your fryer/saucepan to 180 degrees. Reduce the heat under the saucepan to maintain this temperature.
2. Carefully place 2 or 3 thighs in the fryer at a time. Do not mess around with them for the first few minutes, just ensure they stay separate. After 6 minutes, lift and turn each thigh to ensure equal cooking on all sides. Cook for a further 6 minutes. Check each thigh is cooked, using a meat thermometer if you have one. Drain on a cooling rack or some kitchen roll to soak up excess oil for a couple of minutes. Devour.
Air Fryer Method
1. Heat your air fryer to 180 degrees. Spray each thigh with a mist of oil. This helps the crumb crisp beautifully and uses very little oil overall.
2. Once your fryer is up to temperature place 2-3 thighs into the tray at a time. They will take approx 5 minutes per side. At the half time point, turn each thigh and spray with another light mist of oil. Continue cooking.
3. As each batch are removed from the fryer allow to cool slightly on a cooling rack. Devour