Butternut Squash & Sweet Potato Tostadas (Vegetarian)
Aside from the explosion of flavours in one bite from this dish, the second best thing is it can all be done in advance, reheated and assembled when required. No stress cooking is the goal here.
So without further ado. Here's the ingredients list and the recipe steps. Adapt as you wish, use vegan cheese if you want to, the choice is yours, this is a guide as to how I made ours.
- 1/2 medium butternut squash, seeds removed and the flesh cut into 2cm-ish cubes.
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into similar sized cubes
- 2 tbsp Bite Me Spices Mild Chilli Powder (use can also use Hot or our Fajita Mix if you have them)
- 1 bulb garlic, whole
- 1 red or yellow pepper cut into strips, we found a bag of mixed peppers in the reduced aisle so used these.
- 2 red onions. 1 cut into chunky segments, the other, very finely chopped.
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- Handful of coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- Packet of corn tortillas. (You'll need a round pastry cutter or a glass to form into circles).
- 1/4 pack of feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper
- Heat the oven to 150 degrees. Place chopped squash, sweet potato, onion segments and the whole garlic bulb on a baking tray. Add 1 tbsp of the oil, mix to coat and then sprinkle over 2 tbsp of the spice mix. Stir well and put in the middle of the oven for about 45 minutes, turning half way through. Can be done in 20 minutes in an air-fryer if you have one.
- Meanwhile in a non-metallic bowl add the finely sliced onion, the lime juice and 1 tsp of sea salt. Mix and leave to one side. Stir occasionally.
- Using a glass or pastry cutter cut out circles of tortilla about 3-4cm across. Don't throw the offcuts, coat in a tiny bit of oil and some spice mix, add to a hot oven for a few minutes, hey presto, homemade spicy tortilla crisps!
- In a hot pan toast each of the tortilla circles on both sides, they will firm up. Leave on a cooling rack ready for assembly. Take the squash etc out of the oven. Once cool enough to handle chop the garlic bulb in half and squeeze out the now roasted cloves into a small bowl. Season with a sprinkle of salt. Mix.
When you are ready to assemble... warm up the squash/sweet potato/pepper. Turn on the grill to a medium heat.
- Brush a little of the garlic paste on each tortilla circle. Put on a baking tray. Add a spoonful of the squash, pepper and sweet potato mix on each circle, pressing down slightly to stick.
- Add a crumble of the feta and a little black pepper to each one. Once assembled put under the grill for a couple of minutes. Put 3/4 on a plate per person, top with a few of the now pink pickled onions and a few coriander leaves.
- Devour and then make more. I unintentionally demolished 6!